Oh New York…what a difference a year makes. I feel like living in the city makes life feel like it’s going ten times faster. I don’t know why, but time just flies by here, maybe it’s because New Yorkers are always in a rush– we don’t waste any time! That’s definitely something you should know. Here are a few of my “must know” essentials before you make the big move:
- Grocery shopping is a joke. If you love that cute little market around the corner of your apartment, I hate to break it to you, but it’s going to cost you twice as much as you’re used to spending. These markets KNOW that you love convenience in NYC, which means they will raise the price. So, that ends up leaving you with walking a mile to the nearest real grocery store where you will get a literal arm workout carrying those bags of groceries back to your apartment. Worst of all is that there’s only so much that you can carry, so be prepared for your groceries to last you about two weeks. OR… you can get your groceries delivered to your door…take it from me, it’s SO worth it.
- You will hate any touristy area, especially Times Square. I promise you that you will wish to never step foot in Times Square ever again after you move here. You will never ever understand why you one day thought it represented NYC. There are so many breathtaking NYC spots that define the city way more than a crowded Times Square.
- You’re going to walk way more than you think. There’s no way to get around it, even subways, taxis and ubers can’t take away the unexpected walking you will always do in NYC. You just never know how much walking you’re going to end up doing in the city, I promise.
- NYC is very expensive, but there’s always a secret “free” activity going around. I wouldn’t say you save money in NYC, but you can always find a free activity around, especially in the summer. It’s there, so keep looking.
- You’re going to pay a lot, your apartment is going to be small, and moving is going to a nightmare. Just accept it.
- You’re never going to get bored. You just can’t. If you’re bored that’s because you are choosing to be bored. There’s about a million things to do, to see, and about a million people to meet. It’s a city full of inspiration.
- It can get lonely. It’s a big city, but surprisingly it can feel very lonely.
- But, you don’t have to be afraid of moving here. If you’re afraid you won’t be able to learn the city or you won’t acclimate to the new lifestyle and that the city will swallow you whole, it won’t. You make NYC your own, and I truly believe that. You really develop this relationship with the city, and you slowly learn how to navigate the NYC lifestyle. You will make memories of a lifetime…that’s 100% true.
Let me know if you have any questions about moving to NYC! I will be happy to answer it. There’s so much out here and it can be intimidating, but it can also be the best decision you’ll ever make.