I have turned into a smoothie fanatic. I have a smoothie almost every day now. Smoothies are so great for people, like me, who have a hard time sticking to healthy habits and have a sweet tooth…um like ME. There are so many great smoothie places in NYC, but I think my favorite has to be Juice Generation. Their ingredients are healthy, and you can customize your smoothie– and they taste SO good.
You know what’s even better? Saving money! Making smoothies at home are even better because you know exactly what you’re putting in and you are saving money…it’s so cheap. Here’s my go-to smoothie.
- Half of a banana: banana’s are my favorite fruit. They are high in sugar so I try to restrain myself to half of one. You can freeze the other half to use later.
- A hand full of mixed berries. Get these FROZEN because they act like ice cubes for your drink plus you don’t have to worry about berries going bad. Berries are also super low in calories!
- Flax-seeds for some “good” fats.
- A pinch of cinnamon. I love cinnamon, plus it helps with weight-loss, woo!
- Sometimes I add a spoon of peanut butter if I’m in the mood.
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk. In my opinion, this is the best smoothie base, but I also really like coconut milk too.
- And last but not least and my favorite ingredient, a handful of SPINACH. If you’re like me and you have trouble filling up on your greens, put it in your smoothie. It’s the best way to eat your greens if you’re not a salad lover. I’ve had kale in my smoothie before and I couldn’t handle the aftertaste, but spinach is a perfect green to blend in. I never taste it! You can also add in more banana if you’re really nervous about tasting the spinach, but I promise you won’t.
Long live my smoothie lifestyle!